AmigaActive (1010/2143)

From:Don Cox
Date:13 May 2000 at 10:14:30
Subject:Re: Parallel Cables

Hello Alan

On 12-May-00, Alan Bailey wrote:
> Hello Dean
>
> On 12-May-00, you wrote:
>
>> Am I right in thinking that an Amiga parallel cable is different from
>> a PC one and are they interchangeable?
>
> No the amiga has a standard centronics interface, so a pc cable will
> work.

The Amiga parallel port has 5v power on pin 14. Some equipment may not
like this, and it is common to disconnect this wire in the cable for
Amiga use. The 5v is used to power audio digitisers etc.

Amiga cables for connecting scanners to the parallel port have special
wiring (known as an ASDG cable). Likewise for cables for the Polaroid
Palette etc.

The Amiga parallel port is bidirectional. So is the PC port, but the
input connections are different. PC equipment that expects to see a PC
bidirectional port may need an extra wire brought round to the Amiga
joystick port, with software to suit. This wouldn't affect a printer,
where the computer is outputting only.

AFAIK the original Centronics interface was for output only, so neither
the Amiga nor the PC are "standard".

Regards

Don Cox
doncox@enterprise.net

Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com: